Thursday, September 25, 2014

Recap

I am a goal-oriented person. By that, I mean I score them. Nothing compares to watching the soccer ball hit the back of the net. It’s why I am a forward, it’s what I’ve spent hours upon hours training to do, whether I put it there myself or get it to a teammate who can. I contributed a few goals while playing for Uni last spring, resulting in one or two satisfying wins, and this fall I had hoped for a repeat performance clad in Illinois FC orange.

From the beginning of this season—my first time playing with a traveling club—it was clear that was not the case. My coach couldn’t believe it when I told him my typical position. In fact, our first conversation on the topic, after only our second practice, went something like this:

Coach: What position do you normally play?
Me: Forward or outside mid.
Coach: Outside mid?!

Needless to say, he believed my natural talents were being “wasted” at the position I had played for years. A couple of weeks later we scrimmaged against an older girls’ team and he started me at center back—the last line of defense before the goalkeeper, the pivoting point of the back line, the complete opposite of what I normally play. I wrote elsewhere that “telling me to play center back is like telling a trumpeter to play the tuba,” and it still holds true. In that practice game I was practically tripping over myself trying to keep up with each play, relying on raw speed to cover up for my mistakes.

It’s taken almost a month to finally settle into my new place on the field. I still make mistakes. I still have to outsprint oncoming forwards when they slip past myself or one of my teammates. I still catch myself reviewing each of my actions after the event: “Should I have been talking more?” “Why didn’t I tackle there?” “I can’t believe I didn’t step to that ball.”

But it’s easier. My coach is gleeful that he has a center back who will run into space and take shots in the front lines but still return to her rightful place. I’ve developed a fondness for the position myself, comforted by the knowledge that I have a well-defined spot to recover to every time. It will never stop being a challenge, but I feel less lost than I did at the beginning of the season. For this team, this is where I belong.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. Very well developed and engaging. I particularly like the final sentence and the way it keeps everything in context and in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly, I really liked your post! I don't play soccer, so it was great to get an insight on how it feels to play, to score, to be on the field. You must be a good addition to the team. I hope you do get to play an important role in a scoring point (or, I guess, more likely in preventing an opponent's scoring point:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Props to you for being so flexible when you got switched from your old position. It could have been very easy for you to get frustrated when your coach moved you around, but you seem really positive about it! I hope you have a great rest of your season.

    ReplyDelete